Saturday 10 November 2012

Re-releasing films in 3D - yay or nay?

News reached me yesterday that the 1993 classic Jurassic Park is being re-released next year in 3D, and I'm in two minds about it. It's pretty epic to be honest but really, is there any need for the film industry to keep doing this!?



I probably will go see it when it hits cinemas, even though as a young child I was petrified of this film but now I see how awesome it is. But I really do not see the point of re-releasing films in 3D - the only sense it makes is financially I suppose. But the films they are re-releasing have most likely already made a huge profit, so that doesn't really make much sense either? In some ways, I understand why people are doing this - 3D is a pretty good modern experience in cinema, so it would make sense. But in some films, it doesn't make much difference. 

For example last year, I went and saw The Lion King when it got re-released in cinemas in 3D. I bloody love that film - it's one of my all-time favourites. Yet, I really didn't see the need for 3D. The film was no different in my opinion, and the 3D effects didn't do much at all. Although I was amazed by the actual film itself - and nearly cried as always when Mufasa dies - I wasn't so amazed by the 3D effects. They did nothing really, and so in effect all I did was wear a pair of silly glasses for a good couple of hours which strains your eyes after all. It was pointless.

It may work for other films though - I can see Jurassic Park being quite frankly epic in 3D, with the Tyrannosaurus Rex bursting out of the screen and roaring right in your face as if it was there in real life. Now that'd be rather epic, as well as re-releasing all of the Star Wars films. But I feel the cinema industry just shouldn't bother with re-releasing films such as the Disney classics, they just don't do anything. If they will also re-release Top Gun as planned, and other films within the action genre, they'll fit in just fine. Just please stop re-releasing Disney classics, as much as I love them. 

Jurassic Park in 3D hits UK cinemas on the 5th of April 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment